Today I was thinking of the number of times I have moved - at least 12! From my hometown to univerity, from university to living in Rome for a semester, a handful of places in Dallas to live with a roommate, to move in with Alex, to be nearer to work, to have more space and have a yard big enough for the dogs. And then, Alex and I made the big move over to London. And once there, we moved from a central one room studio (up 90 steps!), to a nearby larger one bedroom, then out to the London suburbs. And then, we moved back to Texas, into to a temporary rental house while we looked for a house to buy. Now, we are making a more permanent move - into our first home.
A friend made an interesting comment when we first started looking at homes. She said something along the lines of, it is just neat to think one of the homes you are looking at will be the place where you will make your memories. These first few times walking into the house (now beginning to fill with boxes and belongings) I get excited thinking about the next several years, our lives together in this house, in our new neighborhood. Ruby will grow up there... learn to ride her bike, start kindergarden, play with the kids down the street.
At the same time I feel a bit overwhelmed. I thought moving with a 4 month old was difficult (I can't believe we last moved only 6-7 months ago!!!) Moving with an 11 month old who now crawls, gets into everything and eats random particles off the floor is even tougher! When I first exposed her to the pack and play she thought it was a fun game...until she realised that this is the place I put her when I need to go and grab a box or unpack some things. Anyways, I know everything will get packed and unpacked eventually. But, it sure is challenging in the meantime!
We closed on our house this past week and moved lots of boxes and some furniture this weekend. Next weekend will be the final part of the move.
1 week ago