Over the last month Ruby has been busy growing more and more toddler-like. Even though with her bald head, she still looks like a baby to us, she is capable of so many big girl things.
She learned how to climb out of her crib a few weeks ago. I was in the next room waiting for her to stop talking to herself in her crib and fall asleep, when she just came walking in my room, saying 'mama I got out. I jumped.' She was so proud of herself. I tried not to act impressed and immediately took her back in her room and put her back in her crib. I asked her to show me how she did it. She showed me how she carefully pushed herself up and over the corner of the crib, slowly lowering herself down to the floor. So, we took off the front rail of her convertible crib and put a lock on the outside of her door. Bedtimes and naptimes have been pretty rough over the last several weeks. For some reason, she acts like going to bed is this new, scary, traumatic thing. We have to sit with her and calm her down, read and sing to her, and stay in the room until she drifts off...otherwise she cries like she is scared for a solid 30-45 minutes.
We've been working on potty training. We have one upstairs and downstairs to help the process. Ruby has gone number 2 (which surprised her, and she had to ask what IT was in the toilet). We motivate with one jelly bean, and one chocolate easter egg (both leftovers from this past Easter). She is hooked on having one of each if she has a successful bathroom trip. My goal is to get through this before baby number 2 comes.
She is talking and talking. One of our funniest (and frequently had) conversations lately has been about flying. She keeps telling me she wants to fly and that she has wings like a butterfly. She has a fascination with wanting to fly up to the ceiling to touch the ceiling fans. I don't know exactly where this comes from. So, I got her a pair of green fairy wings,which she likes to wear daily, and jump as high as she can.
She loves listening to music and singing. For a while 'happy birthday' was the favorite song. Now we are back to old macdonald, twinkle twinkle, and row your boat. Wheels on the bus has always been a favorite. I love when she just starts singing out of the blue in the backseat.
She sang her ABCs all the way through, and does almost everyday. I know she just thinks it is another fun song, but I am proud of her.
She can count to 12...this I credit largely to Sesame Street. They featured a song called ladybug picnic, which counts to twelve. She loves ladybugs and this song. We sing it a lot. She also randomly counts things that are multiples...it often goes 2,5, 6, 9, but I'm proud that she understands the general concept of counting.
She knows her colors and shapes very well.
Every now and then she will say 'thank you' or 'no thank you' or please without us prompting. I think that is just too cute.
Her memory is really improving. When she hears a familiar song, or comes across a toy she hasn't seen in a while, she will say, 'I remember this.' She recounts bits from her day, her friends' names, where certain toys are stored, that some stores have elevators or steps.
For a while she has been wanting to do everything herself, or 'my turn' as she says. Even if it is something she physically can't do, she wants to try. She can now climb into the car and her carseat on her own, get her own water from the fridge water dispenser, take off her shorts and diaper to try to go potty, etc.
She does get really frustrated when she can't do something, when I take something away, when I make her leave a fun place like the playground or gymnastics, or when I get out of her sight. We do get tantrums, but I know this is a phase and it isn't as bad as I have seen from some other kids.