Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ruby is now 19 months old!


Ruby is now 19 months old.

I have now reached the point where it is hard to keep up…with this blog…with all of Ruby’s fun outings and playdates…with Ruby’s fast little feet…with all the new things she is learning how to do each day!

Over the last few months Ruby’s vocabulary has grown amazingly. She is now getting really good at copying most all words we say. I can't keep up with all her new words, but recent additions include 'hot dog' (as learned on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse), cupcake (which can refer to anything from cakes to blueberry muffins…anything in that shape really), chicken, heart, tunnel, button, bite (as in can I have a bite of whatever you are eating, mom?), house, phone, cook, snowman, and nutcracker (just in time for the holidays!). Daddy taught her how to say ‘please’ and just the other day at a playdate I observed Ruby saying please to another toddler asking for the toy he had. So sweet.

A few other interesting concepts she has learned include… ‘stuck’ which can apply to anything from Ruby being stuck/buckled into her highchair, a baby being ‘stuck’ in its package at the store, or a door which is ‘stuck’ (locked keeping Ruby from getting in a room). My other favorite is ‘me-out’ which Ruby uses when she wants out of a highchair, swing, shopping cart, etc. Recently I have started letting her cook with me and I sometimes let her shake spices into whatever we are making, so now she says ‘shake it.’

I don’t have any precise weight or height measurements, but all I can say is this girl is growing! Her long legs have outgrown pants that I bought her only a month or so ago. She went through a skinny phase, but now she is getting a cute little pot belly. Her eyes are still blue, and she is still the baldest toddler I know.

She is really open to trying new foods and recent favorites include mama’s Starbucks French roast coffee (just a few sips), flaming hot cheetos (she sneakily grabbed some from my plate and thought they were the best thing ever), pizza, sloppy joes, blueberry muffins, apple juice, dried apples, and steamed baby carrots. And since it is Christmas Ruby has had the chance to sample a few bits of candy here and there!

(I made her this dress!)


Contributors