Tuesday, March 02, 2010

A day in the life - Ruby 9.5 months

Ruby wakes up around 8. She has her bottle and some bites of banana (and a few bites of my oatmeal).

She plays on the floor with one of her four activity centers in the living room while I watch the morning news and coffee with Alex. This usually involves a few faceplants as she attempts pulling up or crawling.

We 'walk' around the room a few times, then we go to her room for more playtime with her baskets of toys. She likes to play with books as toys. She likes when I sing 'five little monkeys jumping on the bed' or 'old Macdonald had a farm' with the puppets I have.

After Ruby gets fussy we read 5 or 6 books. For the past several months she has taken her morning nap laying on my chest from about 10-10:45 am, but for the past 3 days she has fought the morning nap so I think she doesn't need it anymore. She would never go in her crib, and I enjoyed this part of our day together, so now I don't regret all our morning naptime cuddles!

When she wakes up she sits in her highchair eating cheerios while I clean up morning dishes and wash the bottles. I grab a quick shower and then we usually head out to some form of playdate or activity. Our latest weekly activity is swimming lessons, which she loves.

On our way back home Ruby normally falls asleep in the car for her afternoon nap.

Around 5:30 or 6 Alex finishes work and entertains Ruby for a bit. This normally involves lively games of peekaboo and silly faces. We whip up a quick dinner and Ruby sits at the table with us eating a few bits of what we have for dinner, more cheerios or baby mum mums. I introduced her to shredded cheese and she loves it!

After dinner, Alex gives Ruby a bath. I pick up all the toys around the house, make sure I have the diaper bag packed for the next day and then get Ruby ready for bed.

Alex feeds Ruby and works his magic putting her to sleep in her crib around 8 pm. She has slept through the night for the past 3 nights, but normally she wakes up.

Contributors