Saturday, May 23, 2009

May 13th - Ruby's Birthday












Because of the positioning of my placenta, I had to deliver Ruby via c-section. So, on the morning of May 13th, we took a taxi to Kingston hospital. I was the second section of the day. Other than the local anesthetic, I wasn't in any pain at all. They used a spinal anesthetic (similar to an epidural) and I just felt warm and numb, like I was wrapped in blankets. The operation was very short (roughly 45 minutes total). It was a very calm and controlled experience!

Ruby was born at 11:05 am, weighing 8 pounds and measuring 20 inches. They let us hold her (awkwardly since I had a curtain up around me) and then Alex and I got a proper cuddle once we moved into the recovery area.

She is absolutely beautiful. The more and more we looked at her, we noticed her features...She has a birthmark on the back of her head (in the same spot that Daddy Alex has), she has a cowlick on her front hairline (in the same spot that mommy Laura has), she has cute pouty lips, long delicate fingers, and rosy cheeks.

The whole day was so surreal. I went in with a huge belly and ended the day with a daughter!

Contributors